Wednesday, September 1, 2010

the boot dilemma

The what-shoes-to-wear-today decision was particularly hard this morning. Not meaning to sound petty, but I spent at least 10 minutes agonizing over what to do. (This amount of time is unusually long for me.)
You see, today I went to the Melbourne Writer's Festival. Also today, it rained. Again, despite the fact that spring is officially here.
I have been contemplating wearing my gumboots for some time now. They are so pretty, and stir exciting memories in me. Memories of mud and music, of laughter and love. The pure exaltation of attending my first ever music festival is the strongest feeling these foot protectors evoke.
Today seemed the perfect today wear said wonder boots.
Except for my trip to the MWF. I would have been quite content to wear my spotted marvels to the festival, but...what if somebody saw me??
Not just anybody, of course, but a somebody? A famous writer, or publisher, or bookstore owner, or...who knows? Someone who, in the future, may be an important connection of mine. Someone who, in my mind at least, was bound to be completely unforgiving of my gaudily decorated beauties.
So I gave in. The idea was too much to bear at 9:30 in the morning (having had no coffee, obviously). I wore my Doc Martens.
My scuffed, old, dirty red Docs.
Perhaps I should've had a coffee first?

No comments:

Post a Comment