Tuesday, September 7, 2010

an essay on essays and other things

I can't even think where to begin this post. I am so stuck in the world of essay writing it's as though I've temporarly forgotten how to write creatively.
I highly doubt this to be true, though. It is probably due to the fact that my fingers are freezing cold, and somewhat numb, and cannot keep up with my brain at all. Let alone the fact that my heat pack is not doing its job, or the fact that my cat is trying to eat not only my assignment but also my library books. Yes, the charms of domestic life are not always charitable to the creative writer. Add in bills and a mean landlord, and you've got a recipe for tedium and writer's block.
Interestingly, I was intending on writing this post about my lack of enthusiasm for essay writing. Funny how my limp attempts at answering my dull asignment question drove me straight to my new outlet for creative writing, even when the content of such was going to be essays!
All that needs to be said about essays, really, is that I find them boring, and a waste of time. I would much rather write a creative expose on the interpretations of Nick Cave: the enigma, than write a case study about how he has impacted Australian publishing culture. No offense to the lovers of essay writing, as I know you are out there...somewhere, possibly hiding in a hole? This is just one grumpy, cold, annoyed-at-cat, girl's opinion.

So my post would have only been a paragraph long if I had not let my mind wander while my poor, studious little fingers struggled their way around the keyboard. Let's know think about the keyboard itself.
My dad bought me a laptop when I moved out of home and went to university for the first time. Such a sweet and useful gift, I am forever grateful to him for it. However, almost three years later, the keyboard is not in such a lovely state as once it was. The space button chooses not to make a space every four or five times I hit it. Some letters are a little bit like my fingers, grumpy and slow, and take too long to react. In general, the keys are quite sticky (underneath) which makes touch typing a little awkward.
I should have bought a new computer about a year ago. I have been wanting one since then anyway. But the realities that come with moving out of home have prevented me from realising my dream of a wonderful keyboard. Something I never knew about myself, and was subsequently slapped in the face by as soon as I left home, is that I am not excellent at handling my money. I've noticed that I prefer to spend money on nice food, or other similar enjoyments, than save it for a new computer, or something similar (ie. new, unbroken-down car).
I like to enjoy my life right now in the present, which I don't see anything wrong with. I like nice things, I like buying people presents. Until my car breaks down. And my keyboard goes all grumbly on me. Now is when I see the importance of saving, and not splurging every penny that comes my way.
And now I see the perfect opportunity for me to save up big time. After the semester finishes, I am packing my bags and, with kitten in tow, heading up to Bendigo-town to reside with my lovely mother. Work a lot, save a lot, and write a lot. This is my plan. So you should expect to hear a whole lot more from me after Nov 5, and a whole lot of interesting stories from the Goldfields.
Until then, I am stuck with the chilly pettiness of my apartment, and my essay that I do not want to write!

No comments:

Post a Comment